Here at Lucky Little Learners, we are always looking for ways to bring the fun of learning to our math lessons! So that’s just what we have done with our engaging 2nd grade math centers. Your students will have so much fun with these bright-colored and fast-moving activities for practicing 1-digit and 2-digit addition. Plus, we’ve included a bonus – a downloadable launch kit to help you organize and launch math centers in your classroom! Read on for a sneak peek at two of our favorite activities for practicing addition and subtraction in these free 2nd grade math centers!
What’s Included in the Freebie
There are 3 parts to this jam-packed freebie:
- Center Activity #1 – Addition to 18 Bus Puzzles
- Center Activity #2 – 2-Digit Addition & Subtraction True or False
- Launch Kit – Math Tub Labels, Math Folder Cover, Center Rules/Expectations Charts, Parent Letter, Student Reflection Sheet, Editable Center Groups Template
Center Activity #1: Addition to 18 Bus Puzzles
Math facts are essential to master in second grade! The first of two center activities included in this free set will get your students ready to jump on the learning bus with 1-digit addition practice.
Center Activity #2: Addition & Subtraction True or False
Getting Your Centers Ready
Getting these centers ready takes no time at all!
- Print, laminate, and cut out the puzzle pieces.
- You can store these in a plastic bag, a plastic pencil case, envelopes, or folders.
- Print out the recording sheets and the instructions and your students are ready to play the game with little to no questions asked.
- Make sure you are signed in to your Google account.
- Click on the link for Google Slides on the “Digital” PDF document.
- Choose “make a copy.” This will save the center to your Google Drive.
- Click “share” once the Google Slides is open. Change the setting to “anyone with the link can view” so students can access it.
- Assign the center in your Google Classroom by creating a new assignment and attaching it from your Google Drive. Select “make a copy for each student.”
Playing the Bus Puzzles Center:
The best part of this free 2nd grade math center is that it is one that students can easily do independently during centers. Students will lay out the front pieces of their bus on the floor or desk in front of them.
Your students will then match the back of the bus with the answer that solves the addition fact. There are 24 total questions so you know they are getting plenty of practice! As they solve their questions they can record these on their recording sheet so you have accountability and can check their work!
For such a short amount of time spent setting up this activity, you’ll be amazed at how much fun students have putting the puzzle pieces together!
Note: Use the same directions with digital centers. Students will drag and drop the cards in Google Slides to complete each activity.
Playing the True or False Center:
Students will select one card at a time and solve the problem.
Next, students place the number sentence card in either the “true” or “false” category.
Last, students record the number sentence in the correct category on the recording sheet.
These centers, like our other math centers, are the perfect mix of easy-to-set-up and fun to play!
Bonus: Math Centers Launch Kit
You’ll be all set up to implement math centers in your classroom with these launch kit templates!
Ready to Grab This Freebie?
Sign up below to try these math centers and launch tools!
If you are already hooked and ready to dive more into the second grade math centers, follow THIS LINK to take a look at all of the options in our All Access Resource Library!