Looking for math money worksheets for 2nd grade? Look no further! You can bet your bottom dollar that students will love these math worksheets and activities. We have money worksheets to practice coin counting, money addition and subtraction, making change, and money word problems.
They say time is money, and with everything we’ve included in this post, you’re going to save hours of planning! We’ve matched each money skill with a worksheet, read aloud, skills video, and extra practice activity. Now you can go spend your time on something fun!
- Coin Counting
- Counting Dollars and Cents
- Coin Addition and Subtraction
- Making Change
- Money Word Problems
1. Coin Counting Worksheets
- Math Money Maker Worksheet: It’s garage sale time! How much money did each child make at the garage sale? Count the coins and write the total in the box. Who earned the most money?
- Read Aloud: The Coin Counting Book by Rozanne Lanczak Williams
- Math videos to teach coin values: For a quick review on coin values, check out this coin song. We guarantee it will be stuck in your head!
- Beyond the Worksheet Activity: Looking for more coin counting practice? Check out our FREE math game – Toothy Task Cards! In this fun math game, students will practice counting money in different amounts and arrangements. They’ll be tallying up their piggy bank totals in no time with the help of Toothy!
2. Counting Dollars and Cents Worksheets
- Dollars and Cents Worksheet: 2nd graders will love this math money worksheet! If your students have mastered counting coins and are ready for another challenge, introduce them to counting bills. This math worksheet combines counting bills and coins. Students will count the money in each row, and record it on the answer sheet.
- Read Aloud: A Dollar, a Penny, How Much and How Many? (Math Is Categorical) by Brian P. Cleary
- Math video to teach counting money: In this video geared specifically towards 2nd grade, students will complete a “coin race!” Get to the finish line of the coin race by adding all the coins correctly. Ready, set, go!
- Beyond the Worksheet Activity: Set up your own coin race around the classroom! Print the Dollars and Cents worksheet, and cut it into strips. Tape the strips around the classroom, and have students make a “pit stop” at each problem. Record their answers on the worksheet – who will be the first to finish the race?
3. Coin Addition and Subtraction
- Money Word Problems Worksheet: Rylie has 2 dimes and 3 pennies. She lost 1 penny. How much money does Riley have now? These math word problems will challenge students to practice their money addition and subtraction skills. Solve the 2nd grade math money word problems, and cut and glue the correct answer in the box.
- Read Aloud: Rock, Brock, And the Savings Shock by Sheila Blair
- Math video to teach coin addition and subtraction: Follow along as two friends shop at the store. They must add to find out the total of their purchase, and subtract to figure out the amount of change they will receive.
- Beyond the Worksheet Activity: Once students have completed the Money Word Problems Worksheet, have them cut the worksheet so each problem is a card. Then, students can play a math battle card game. This game works best in pairs or groups of 3. Students will stack their cards in their hand, then all flip over one card at the same time. Whoever hs the highest amount on their card takes all the cards played. Keep playing until one student has collected all the cards!
4. Making Change Worksheets
- Correct Change – Not Correct Worksheet: You have only $1 to spend on your shopping trip. Look at the price tag of the item that you purchased and determine if you have the correct amount of change. Then, cut, sort, and glue into the correct or incorrect column.
- Read Aloud: Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money by Emily Jenkins
- Math video to teach making change: This video teachers two different math strategies to make change: counting up and subtracting. Have your students give each method a try. Do they arrive at the same answer each time? Which method do they think is best? This video can be used for whole class instruction, small group lessons, or independent review.
- Beyond the Worksheet Activity: Set up a classroom store! Print and cut the Correct Change/Not Correct worksheet. Have students work in pairs, Using the worksheet and money or counters, have students practice counting out money to purchase the item and make change for a dollar.
5. Money Word Problem Worksheets
- Money Word Problems:
Anna’s mom gave her 2 quarters, 4 nickels, and 1 penny. How much money does Anna have?
In these 2nd grade math money worksheets, students will read the word problem, identify the important information. Students will then solve each word problem and write the total in the box. Use the extra space to draw the coins if needed. Using real money or counters may be helpful for students to solve these problems.
- Read Aloud: You Can’t Buy a Dinosaur With a Dime: Problem-solving in Dollars and Cents by Harriet Ziefert
- Math video to teach money word problems: This video takes students through coin values and step-by-step money math word problems. Use this video for whole class review, or have students watch it during independent math centers.
- Beyond the Worksheet Activity: More money, more problems. Who says worksheets have to be boring? Print and cut the math money word problem worksheet, and have students play Scoot around the room to solve the problems. For tips on how to play Scoot in the classroom, click here.
The 2nd grade money math worksheets mentioned in this post are included in our Measurement, Data, Time & Money Worksheet Pack.
SHOP THIS POST
2nd Grade Measurement, Time, Money, & Data Worksheets
For more books and read alouds about money, check out our list of Children’s Books that Teach Money.
Looking for more money math videos for students to review money skills? We’ve rounded up some of our favorite videos that teach money.
We’ve Got a Math Worksheet for That!
Also – if you’ve got a 2nd grade math skill to teach and reinforce, we’ve got a worksheet for it!
Read about our 2nd grade math worksheets below:
SHOP THIS POST
2nd Grade Math Worksheets Bundle