Google forms are a GREAT way to interact with students during distance learning or just when using technology in the school setting. They are a quick way to assess student knowledge. The best part of Google Forms? Seeing the student’s responses! Read & watch below to learn how to see student responses (both as individual and group responses), correct their work and download the responses as a spreadsheet.
Sharing Google Forms with Students
Like we said above, Google Forms are a great way to do assessments or daily work virtually. Creating and sending them out is quick and easy! (Also, many resources, like our Sprial ELA Bundle, are already put together in digital formats…all you have to do is click SHARE! Check it out and other digital resources in our store.)
- Open the Google Form (Quiz) you want to share out with students.
- Click the SEND button in the upper right hand corner.
- Click on the link symbol (Extra tip: click on “Shorten URL” to make it look more user friendly!)
- Click the “Copy” button.
- You can paste this link in ANY online learning platform like Google Classroom, Seesaw, Canvas or Class Dojo.
- We recommend clicking on the link to see the student view AND to fill out a sample response. If you do this you will notice students can see what they got right or wrong. (If you chose this while creating your form.)
Ways to View your Responses
- Open a Google Form on which you have received student responses.
- Click on the “Responses” tab on the top of the page.
View A Class Summary of Responses
- Click “Summary” on the top of the page. This option allows you to see a graph of responses for the whole class.
- This could be beneficial for a quick glance to determine what needs reteaching.
View Responses Question by Question
- This method allows you to see what each student answered for each question.
- While looking at student responses, you will want to grade the open response questions. Google Forms automatically marks these incorrect. Choose the question you want to send feedback for and click “Add individual Feedback”.
- Type a comment or grade for the student on this question. (Don’t forget to click save!)
View Responses by Individual Student
- If you want a quick glance at each student’s entire form, this is the option for you.
- Click the green “Create a new spreadsheet” icon in the upper right corner.
- You will choose between “Create a new Spreadsheet” or “Select existing spreadsheet”.
- Click “Create”.
- A Google Sheet will pop up which will include all student responses.
- This spreadsheet is editable, so you are able to delete columns or rows if you wish.
The resource that was used in this tech tip video is the ELA Spiral Review Bundle. Take a look inside!
Do you want to receive our weekly Tech Tip Thursday emails?
Gathering Google Form responses is a great way to quickly assess student learning and can be used to collect important data throughout the year. We hope this tech tip will make your teaching life easier!