We have all heard of the 100th day of school, and maybe even celebrated it in the classroom. However, 2nd graders deserve a special day too! Introducing: Two’s Day! The date for Two’s Day could be February 2nd or 22nd (2/2 or 2/22). Just a little bonus if either of those dates falls on a Tuesday (aka “Twos Day”. Twos all around!
Mini Two’s Day Room Transformation
Room transformations get the day off to an amazingly fun start AND create lasting memories! A quick room transformation is possible for Two’s Day. Ideas:
- Hang big 2s from the ceiling and on the walls. (Students could guess how many are hidden around the room.)
- Set up a “store” where everything cost 2 or 22 cents
- Have students decorate large paper twos OR have them transform the two into something else (disguise their 2)
If you like the idea of a room transformation, check out these transformation ideas:
Two’s Day Snack Ideas
There are some fun ideas of what to eat for a Two’s Day Treat! These treats either come in pairs or have something to do with the pairs or the number two!
- Twix Bars
- Double Mint Gum
- Many Little Debbies snacks
- Tootsie Rolls
Candy Taco Two’s Day
Yep, you read that right…candy tacos! (These could be substituted for REAL tacos as well.) Check out this great recipe from Erica’s Sweet Tooth for her amazing Mini Oreo Tacos.
What you’ll need:
- Golden Oreos (could be substituted with sugar cookies or Nilla Wafers)
- Brownies (store bought or premade)
- Shredded Coconut (add green food dye) or Green licorice sliced to thin pieces-this is for the lettuce
- Red candies for the tomatoes: this could be red gummies or hot tamales
- Yellow & Orange Starbust sliced to look like shredded cheese
- Frosting to hold everything together
AND…if you are going to do these Candy Tacos, why not read or listen to Dragons Love Tacos to tie in literature?
Buy the book here:
(Note: This is an Amazon Affiliate link.. If you purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.)
OR listen to it here:
Two’s Day Student Gifts
Giving a gift is totally optional of course, but if you want to, here are some great ideas!
- New #2 pencil: these could be generic pencils (hey they have a 2 on them!) OR personalize them with “Happy Twosday” from Oriental Trading.
- Two’s Day Bookmarks: students (and teachers) love bookmarks. They also love FREEBIES! Grab your free bookmarks right here.
- Give kids these free Two’s Day certificates!
Two’s Day Dress Up
Kids love special dress up days! Why not make Two’s Day one?
Dress up Ideas:
- Kids dress like twins with another student
- They wear “two” inspired/sounding items: tutus, toupee (HA!), tunics, two ties, two bows, etc…
Math & Language Arts Two’s Day Ideas
If you want Two’s Day to be an ALL day event, why not incorporate it into your academic routine as well? Team Lucky Little Learners has been hard at work putting together Math and Language Arts Twos Day Ideas for you! In the BRAND new resource full of Two’s Day activities, you will find:
- Brag Tags special for Twos Day
- Compound Word activities (two words!)
- Double Bubble Graphic Organizer (think fancy venn diagram)
- Math Worksheets including double digit addition & subtraction and early multiplication (x2),
- Double Consonant Center
- Double It Dice Partner Game
- Dynamic Duo Writing Prompt
- Famous Pairs Word Search
- Pairs I Spy activity
- lanyards to wear the day of
- Number 2 Directed Drawings: turn the 2 into something else!
- Pattern Blocks “2” activities
- Shoot for two Basketball Game: using a waste basket hoop and paper ball!
- Skip Counting by 2s Maze
- Twenty Years writing prompt
- Two Syllable words partner game
- Twos Day Color by Number
- Joke of the day Handwriting featuring the number 2
- Grammar lesson focusing on to, two and too
Two’s Day Read Alouds
So many books could be read on this special day! Here are some favorites!
Read this book and complete the Tuesday comprehension questions and reading passages included in the Lucky Little Learners Two’s Day resource!
In this book, everything the main character puts in a magic pot doubles! This could be a fun book to correlate with input/output math tables!
This book is about doubling and would go great with working on addition doubles or multiplying by 2.
Two’s Day Theme Music
A good celebration needs it’s own theme music to get everyone into the spirit, don’t you agree?! Play this fun ditty in the background or kick off a dance party in Two’s Day style!
Two’s Day Artifact Museum
This idea requires a note sent home ahead of time. Students could bring in something that comes in twos or looks like doubles. For example, egg crates, 6 packs of pop, yogurt packs, etc.. Set the items on a table in the classroom and call it the “Two Cool Museum”.
Big Buddies/Little Buddies
If allowed in your school, invite over older or younger students and have then work in twos for the day!
Ask parents to send in a photo of their student at age two! Put them on chart paper and number each picture. Let you students guess which classmate is in each picture. This makes an adorable hallway display after Two’s Day is over!
Here’s an editable parent letter so you can easily explain to families what Two’s Day is all about, and even request photos if you decide to try this cute activity!
Two’s Day STEM
What special day is complete without a STEM activity or two? Here are a couple of Two’s Day STEM ideas:
- Have students work in twos to build a tower using two of each supply. Supplies could be blocks, dice, boxes, pieces of tape, etc..
- Have them build a boat that will float using only TWO materials. The teacher can set out cardboard, newspaper, tinfoil, paper, etc and the students build a boat. Test to see which one can float with 22 paper clips added.
Hopefully these Twos Day ideas and freebies make your special day great! Happy Two’s Day!